Meeting of the College Teaching, Learning and Technology
Tuesday February 3, 1998
8 am - 9.30 am, B&L 375
- Discussion on scheduling of B&L 407 classroom
- April Workshop
- Task Forces
- Discussion of the charges of the task forces. Presentation of ideas
and time lines by the chairs of the various task forces. Our goal is to
finalize the charges at this meeting and advertise them to the University
community. A copy of the current memberships and charges of the various
task forces is attached.
- Other business
Back to index
- Access for All (and technology fees): Melissa Guyre (chair), Steve
Lewis, Rob Stets
- Charge: Determine the current access that U of R students have to technology.
Determine the relative benefits of "the laptop for all", "the
desktop for all", "centralized labs", and "remote labs"
approaches. What can we learn from other institutions (feedback from students
and faculty on how improved access has changed their courses). How can
such an initiative be funded ? Do our competitors charge technology fees,
and if so, how much ?
- Electronic Course Packs: Nancy Perkins, Stephanie Frontz (chair),
- Charge: What are the advantages of electronic course packs for the
instructor and for the students ? Investigate copyright issues related
to electronic course packs. Develop a procedure for faculty to create
electronic course packs, with minimum effort required on the part of the
faculty. Address support requirements for such a procedure.
- Printing Policy: Fran Versace (chair), Stephanie Frontz, Bill Harcleroad,
- Charge: Survey current uses of printer resources in Rochester. Compare
local trends with those observed at other institutions. Collect feedback
from students, staff, and faculty. If desired, propose implementation
of printing policy.
- Technology Survey: Amy Herzog (chair), Frank Wolfs
- Charge: Finish the technology survey and the local resources directory
before the April workshop.
- Email Standards: Norm Acunis (chair)
- Charge: Define appropriate uses, etiquette, integration within University
mission for information access, and tools available for electronic mail.
Provide a standard that will allow "seamless" electronic file
exchange between students and faculty.
- Technology Requirements for Freshmen: Lisa Brown, Melissa Guyre,
Fran Versace, Ben Pass, Matt Stanley
- Charge: Evaluate the need to establish certain minimum technology requirements
for incoming Freshmen. Examine the needs within some majors (e.g. computer
science, english, psychology). What are other schools doing. What resources
do we have to improve the technological competence of those that lack it
upon entering U of R ?
- Support for Faculty Technology Initiatives: Bill Harcleroad, Rob
Stets, Frank Wolfs (chair)
- Charge: Develop a proposal for an initiative that awards release time
for faculty to integrate technology in the curriculum.
- The Support Crisis: Stephanie Frontz, Bill Harcleroad (chair)
- Charge: Define "support crisis". Do we experience a "support
crisis", and if so, compare our local "support crisis" with
those at other institutions. Propose possible solutions.
Back to index