Choose the best format for the job; mix them if necessary.
A sample multiformat recitation. (Much like a lab!)
- Beginning of class: five-minute lecture review of important concepts and formulas introduced since last recitation (accompanied by handout for students)
- Break into small groups to work on four TA-assigned problems. TA flits from group to group to monitor progress.
- On problem 2, the TA notices that all the groups are bogged down on the same step; interrupts group work to present solution on blackboard.
- Resume group work; finish problems if possible.
- Very brief closing lecture summary of relation of assigned problems to homework or exam problems.