Chapter 2. ElectrostaticsGaussís Law - Examples
- Find the electric field inside a sphere which carries a charge density proportional to the distance from the origin: ? = k r, for some constant k.
- A long coaxial cable carries a uniform (positive) volume charge density ? on the inner cylinder (radius a), and uniform surface charge density on the outer cylindrical shell (radius b). The surface charge is negative and of just the right magnitude so that the cable as a whole is neutral. Find the electric field in each of the three regions:
- (1) inside the inner cylinder (r < a)
- (2) between the cylinders (a < r < b)
- (3) outside the cable (b < r).